EPZ Zookeeping Internship Job Description
The zookeeping internship provides an opportunity for college students majoring in Biology, Zoology, Animal Science, Environmental Education Conservation Science or a related field or a recent graduate in any of those fields an opportunity to explore a career working with animals. This internship will provide the intern with valuable hands-on experience while working side by side with keepers throughout the zoo.
Who is eligible?
- The internship is open to current college students, recent college graduates, those considering a career with animals and career changers
- Previous animal experience is not a requirement, but helpful
- The ability to work as part of a team is crucial, as are strong communication skills.
- Must be able to do physical work including being on your feet for more than 8 hours, lifting up to 50 pounds and perform activities such as raking or shoveling
- Must have complete/clear PA Child Abuse Clearance and PA Criminal Background check
- Proof of a current tetanus vaccine that has been administered to you in the past 5 years is required
- Rabies pre exposure is recommended but not required
- You must be at least 18 years of age
- This internship requires a commitment of one day per week
- Fall session runs AUG 15 – DEC 10
- Must be able to attend a scheduled interview and a scheduled orientation prior start of session
- Shifts are 7:00 a.m. – 6:00 p.m
- Intern shifts occur every day regardless of weather, except in cases of extreme weather when the Zoo is closed.
- Intern shifts occur every day regardless of holiday, except Thanksgiving, Christmas Eve, Christmas Day, New Years Eve, and New Years Day when the zoo is closed.
Duties (may include, but are not limited to):
- Preparing/distributing diets
- Maintaining exhibits/enclosures
- Preparing animal enrichment
- Assisting keepers with animal training (as available)
- Speaking to guests as part of keeper talks
- Daily observation and reporting of animal behaviors
- Interns will be provided with the opportunity to learn in an AZA accredited facility that meets the highest standards in zoo practices
- Interns will be provided with hands on experiential learning and mentored by our talented keeper staff
- Internships at Elmwood Park Zoo are developed to provide a rich learning experience and are non-remunerative
- EPZ Internships may be applied to receive college credit in accordance to your school’s policy
To Apply : follow the link to our website to fill out an application: https://www.elmwoodparkzoo.org/employment/internships/