The Assistant Editor works with the Managing Editor to conceptualize, plan, assign, manage, and edit high-quality content for ONCOLOGY, a peer-reviewed medical journal. This position supplies guidance, direction, and coordination to the actions of editorial board members/chairs, contributors, and reviewers while meeting deadlines. The individual in this role will contribute to concept development as well as writing, editing, proofing, and other operational and editorial tasks.
- Regularly collaborate with the editors in chief, editorial board, and audience development to assist with editorial strategy of content for monthly print publication.
- Help to delegate content assignments and reviews.
- Proofread and edit articles for compliance with policies, style, and tone.
- Execute print production process.
- Work with Editorial Director/Managing Editor to schedule production, coordinating with all the key positions (physicians, writers/reporters, photographers, graphic designers, layout producers) to target and monitor progress toward deadline dates for each stage of production.
- Track all documentation for freelance writers and physician contributors, including license agreements, exemption forms, and W9s.
- Work with editorial team to develop compelling content for oncology professionals, including special features, website highlights, video interviews, and conference coverage.
- Conduct administrative work to assist with journal process, including double-blind peer review and PubMed indexing.
- Travel (~10%) to attend professional conferences and live events.
- Bachelor’s degree in life sciences communications, medical journalism, or a related field with 1+ years of progressive professional experience and/or relevant medical background with strong written and verbal communication skills.
- An understanding of the oncology discipline a plus.
- Ability to translate industry understanding into relevant, practical content geared toward professional physician audience.
- Demonstrated creativity and innovation in content planning and execution.
- Excellent scheduling and organizational skills with a sharp attention to detail.
- Thrives both independently and as part of a collaborative team.
- Proficient with Adobe Creative Suite.