Become a Full-Time Teacher by Fall 2023. Apply to the NYC Teaching Collaborative.
Every student in New York City deserves an excellent teacher. The NYC Teaching Collaborative is an alternative teacher certification program designed to provide training and support to aspiring teachers who dedicate themselves to raising student achievement and effecting change in New York City’s highest-need schools.
The Collaborative Experience
The NYC Teaching Collaborative affords aspiring teachers the opportunity to train full-time in a New York City public school for over four months prior to becoming a full-time teacher. The residency experience begins in January 2023 and continues through May. During this unique, practical preparation, participants grow into effective teachers through hands-on experiences in a public school classroom, Master’s degree coursework, and targeted, ongoing coaching from skilled Collaborative Coaches and program staff. Watch a brief video of our training model in action.
Following the residency experience, program participants begin teaching full-time in a New York City school with continued feedback and support. Within 2-3 years, participants earn their Master’s degree and apply for initial NYS teaching certification to continue their career as New York City teachers.
Why Join the NYC Teaching Collaborative?
Build the foundation of your teaching career through a supportive, practice-based training experience. NYC Teaching Collaborative benefits include:
· Stipend during residency experience
· Starting salary of at least $61,070 and full benefits following the residency experience (starting September 2023)
· Partially subsidized Master’s degree in education
· Ongoing coaching and feedback
· Opportunities to support future Collaborative cohorts
Who We Are Looking For
NYC Teaching Collaborative teachers represent a wide range of personal and professional backgrounds. Successful collaborative participants possess:
· Commitment to raising the academic achievement of students in low-income communities
· Desire to join a community of educators at a high-need school
· Ability to respond well to coaching and feedback
· Success and leadership in past endeavors
· Perseverance in the face of challenges
· Ability to think critically and analytically
· Desire to grow professionally and seek new opportunities to learn
· Integrity and clarity in all interactions
· Passion for working with the youth of New York City
Before applying to the NYC Teaching Collaborative program, make sure that you meet basic program eligibility requirements:
· Bachelor’s degree conferred by January 31, 2023
· Minimum undergraduate GPA of 2.5
· Fluent in written and spoken English
· Authorized to work in the United States
· Never been certified to teach or completed a program that would lead to certification in the U.S. or Puerto Rico
You can learn more about program eligibility on our website.
How to Apply
Submit your online application at nycteachingcollaborative.org when it opens on June 1, 2022. We encourage you to apply as early as possible, as applications are considered on a rolling basis. Learn more about program application deadlines.
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
It is the policy of the Department of Education of the City of New York to provide educational and employment opportunities without regard to race, color, religion, creed, ethnicity, national origin, alienage, citizenship status, age, marital status, partnership status, disability, sexual orientation, gender (sex), military status, prior record of arrest or conviction (except as permitted by law), predisposing genetic characteristics, or status as a victim of domestic violence, sexual offenses and stalking, and to maintain an environment free of harassment on any of the above-noted grounds, including sexual harassment or retaliation. Inquiries regarding compliance with this equal opportunity policy may be directed to: Office of Equal Opportunity, 65 Court Street, Room 1102, Brooklyn, New York 11201, or visit the OEO website at http://schools.nyc.gov/OEO