The Bureau of Commercial Waste (BCW) is responsible for implementing the wholesale reform of the City’s private carting industry through the Commercial Waste Zones program (CWZ). The Bureau also plans, implements, promotes, and evaluates DSNY’s commercial programs the recycling and organics rules, NYC Foam Ban, and other waste prevention initiatives.
The Outreach Unit develops the Bureau’s messaging, print and digital collateral, and educational programs to inform and help NYC businesses understand their rights, how to avoid violations, and provide tips on best practices. The Unit conducts direct outreach to NYC businesses and collects commercial data, primarily through site visits, trainings, social media and e-mail blasts, and targeted events, but has adjusted these activities to also include phone conferencing and webinars.
Under the supervision of BCW staff, this college aide will support the graphic and content design group to create public educational materials for New York City businesses aimed at promoting commercial waste zones, recycling, organics, and waste reduction.
Duties will include one or more of the following:
- Assist in editing copy of informational materials and online tools by identifying grammar and style issues
- Design and edit print collateral and digital materials (icons, promotional giveaways, mailers, brochures, signage, presentations, videos, etc.) that will notify businesses about the Commercial Waste Zones program, recycling, organics, and waste reduction
- Adhere to established branding systems and communications standards across various media.
- Adhere to established file naming and storing conventions
- Conduct outreach and distribute public educational materials to New York City businesses aimed at promoting the Commercial Waste Zones program, recycling, organics, and waste reduction
- Administrative work as needed, using Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint, etc.)
- Assist DSNY with other initiatives and projects, including general email and phone outreach, as needed
Minimum Qualification Requirements
Matriculation at an accredited college or graduate school. Employment is conditioned upon continuance as a student in a college or graduate school.
Maximum tenure for the title of College Aide is 6 years. No student shall be employed more than half-time in any week in which classes in which the student is enrolled are in session. Students may be employed full-time during their vacation periods.
- Experience with creating user-friendly and accessible designs for a variety of media (print and digital) and audiences highly desired
- Excellent writing and communication skills
- Ability to work collaboratively or individually as needed
- Portfolio that demonstrates a strong eye for design and attention to detail
- Have a passion for typography, layout, visual hierarchy, and color
- Practical knowledge of the Microsoft Office Suite and Adobe CC Suite (InDesign, Illustrator, Photoshop)
- Candidates with additional language skills a plus (Spanish/Chinese/Arabic/etc.)
- Interest, coursework, or volunteer experience in environmental sustainability or waste management a plus
- Video editing/animation skills a plus
As a current or prospective employee of the City of New York, you may be eligible for federal loan forgiveness programs and state repayment assistance programs. You may check the eligibility for programs and how to apply at nyc.gov/studentloans.
Please submit resume and cover letter via www.nyc.gov/careers or city employees apply via Employee Self Services.
This position is also open to qualified persons with a disability who are eligible for the 55-a Program. Please indicate at the top of your resume and cover letter that you would like to be considered for the position through the 55-a Program.
- 17 hours per week when school is in session
- 35 hours per week when school is not in session
New York City residency is generally required within 90 days of appointment.