Join the PIRG Campus Action team in Nevada!
We are looking for interns at the College of Southern Nevada, University of Nevada – Reno, University of Nevada – Las Vegas to work on various public interest issues, including:
- revitalizing our democracy
- protecting federal funding for clean energy programs
- addressing local hunger and homelessness issues
- making college more affordable
Student PIRGs Background
Students have the power to shape the future we will inherit. We work with professional staff at colleges and universities to make sure our peers have the skills, opportunities and training they need to create a better, more sustainable future for all of us. Our chapters and clubs on nearly 100 campuses in 25 states provide the training, professional support and resources students need to tackle climate change, protect public health, revitalize our democracy, feed the hungry and more. Students have been at the forefront of social change throughout history, from civil rights, to voting rights to protecting the environment. For nearly 50 years we’ve helped students to get organized, mobilized and energized so they can continue to be on the cutting edge of positive change.
Student PIRG interns take on leadership on one or more of our campaigns and receive support and training from a team of experienced organizers and student leaders. Our internship program gives students the opportunity to take your education out of the classroom, do hands-on work, learn important skills, and make an impact. Interns are also eligible to get course credit in a variety of departments on campus.
- New Voters Project – student-led, non-partisan campaign working to register and mobilize thousands of students to vote
- Climate Action Campaign – work to defend hundreds of billions of dollars of federal investment in clean energy programs to fight climate change
- Hunger and Homelessness – use service, advocacy, fundraising, education, and engagement to address the hunger and homelessness issues happening right in our community
- Textbook Affordability – address the rising costs of attending college through education events, faculty sign-ons, and policy changes to gather support of open educational resources (OER)
- Grassroots Intern
- gather broad public support through the organization of visibility, education and campaign action events
- Grasstops/Coalitions Intern
- coordinate with campus leaders, faculty, administration, and government representatives to gather support and endorsements for our campaigns
- Visibility Intern
- communicate our campaign work through social media, graphic design, newspaper, radio, and more
- work 10-12 hours a week
- includes holding meetings, recruiting students, attending trainings, and planning your campaign actions
- have a specific role on a specific campaign
- i.e. New Voters Project Grassroots Intern
- attend weekly national trainings
- attend weekly meetings
We are looking for people who are self-motivated, creative, organized, and want to make a difference. Interns must enjoy working with other people but are also able to be self-starters. Leadership experience is preferred.