Student Nurse Tech
*This position requires current enrollment in an accredited nursing school and must provide proof of completion of the first year/fundamentals of nursing, (or equivalent).*
At Select Specialty/Regency Hospitals, a division of Select Medical, we care for chronically and critically ill or post-ICU patients who require extended hospital care. Our inpatient rehabilitation hospitals, Penn State Health Rehab Hospital and Helen M. Simpson Rehab Hospital provide advanced treatment and comprehensive care to best address the medical, physical, emotional and vocational challenges for individuals with Brain Injuries, Spinal Cord Injuries, Strokes, Amputations, Neurological Disorders, Orthopedic Conditions, and Multiple Traumas.
Select Medical employs over 48,000 people across the country and provides quality care to approximately 70,000 patients each and every day across our four divisions.
Our mission is to provide an exceptional patient care experience that promotes healing and recovery in a compassionate environment. Each employee plays a vital role in doing that by living our cultural behaviors – celebrating success, owning the future, being patient-centered, creating change, thinking first and building trust.
Do you love the challenge of working with medically complex patients? Are you passionate about delivering an excellent patient experience? If you answered ‘yes’, consider an opportunity with us!
We are looking for valued employees who will be Champions of the Select Medical Way, which includes putting the patient first, helping to improve quality of life for the community in which you live and work, continuing to develop and explore new ideas, providing high-quality care and doing well by doing what is right.
In this role, you will provided basic patient care and may perform specific procedures as outlined by the facility under the direct supervision of a Registered Nurse. You will perform procedures and collect and document demographic and patient data.
- Obtaining vital signs, height, weight and demographic data.
- Assisting patients with personal and daily care, such as bathing (bed bath, chair at sink, tub and shower), oral hygiene, shaving and hair care.
- Assisting with urinary catheter removal, finger stick blood sugars, routine urine and stool specimen collection, ostomy care, emptying drainage receptacles/tubes, bladder scan.
- Removing peripheral IV’s as directed by RN (may not remove any IV’s located in antecubital fossa or higher).
- Delivering meals and snacks, feeding patients who are unable to feed themselves and documenting oral intake, including supplements.
- Turning and positioning immobile patients safely while maintaining proper body alignment; participating in mobility program.
- Answering patient call lights and performing services that add to the physical well-being of the patient.
- Transportation of the patients to designated areas, such as to and from various treatment centers.
You will demonstrate an understanding of patient needs, ensuring that each patient feels informed and understood, as well as heard. You are passionate about providing superior quality care and you are an inventive problem solver who thrives in a dynamic environment.
- This position requires current enrollment in an accredited nursing school and must provide proof of completion of the first year/fundamentals of nursing, (or equivalent).
- Knowledge of basic nursing techniques and procedures and aseptic practices is required.
- This position requires the ability to communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing, to follow written and verbal instructions, and to maintain effective working relations with others including patients, families, physicians and other hospital associates.
- Possess a Basic Life Support (BLS) certification by start date.