UPMC Student Nurse Internship (SNI) Program
· In order for your application to be considered, please ensure that you attach all ‘Required Documents to Upload at Time of Application’ noted below.
· Please ensure that you check your email address used during the application process for any application status updates (including checking your Spam inbox for correspondence from UPMC).
· To select multiple hospitals that you would be interested in for your SNI Program placement hold down the CTRL and click every option
Recommended to apply via computer or laptop for multiple selection capability
Does the idea of being a part of Life Changing Medicine inspire you? Are you looking for an opportunity to put into practice what you’ve learned during nursing school? Would you love the opportunity to learn from a trained preceptor in a 1-on-1 environment? If so, UPMC’s Student Nurse Internship Program might be the perfect way to spend your Summer of 2023!
Here at UPMC, we pride ourselves on developing early-career talent and providing you an opportunity to learn from the best of the best. We want to invest in the future nurses of our organization… YOU!
About the Program
UPMC’s Student Nurse Internship (SNI) Program is a full-time 10-week paid summer internship. An internship in nursing at UPMC will give you experience engaging with some of the most important pieces of our business… our patients! SNIs have an opportunity to:
· Work directly with a trained preceptor… 1-on-1! This is an amazing opportunity to build a relationship with your preceptor and see first-hand a day in the life of a nurse at UPMC!
· Participate in supplementary educational sessions to continue your learning journey
· Build your confidence as a future nurse
· Work at one hospital on an assigned unit (assignment shared at time of offer)
· Shadow! We know this experience is all about learning, and we want to help you find your sweet spot to start your nursing career at UPMC. As part of the SNI Program, you’ll have the opportunity to shadow at least one additional area of nursing (you may just be surprised at what you enjoy the most!).
· Work up to 40 hours/week (Note: SNIs follow their preceptor’s schedule.)
· Explore/apply to system-wide GN opportunities before you even leave the program!
It doesn’t end there! During your internship program, you will have the opportunity to network with UPMC Nursing Leadership, give back to the community, receive mentorship, and most importantly, make an impact on patient care and Life Changing Medicine. And, of course, have a little bit of fun too!
Come spend your Summer with us!
· Urban Allegheny County Hospitals
· Allegheny County Hospitals
· UPMC Altoona & UPMC Bedford
· UPMC Chautauqua
· UPMC Hamot (Erie, PA)
· UPMC Horizon & UPMC Jameson
· UPMC Northwest
· UPMC Central PA
· UPMC Somerset
· UPMC North Central
· UPMC Western Maryland
Required Documents to Upload at Time of Application
- Transcripts (unofficial or official transcripts are accepted)
- Currently enrolled in a Diploma, Associates or BSN nursing program with an expected graduation date of Fall 2023, Spring 2024 or Summer 2024 required (Note: At the time of the Program, you must have completed at least your junior year or equivalent)
- Attendance at SNI Program Orientation required (May 23rd)
- Availability to participate in the SNI Program full-time from May 2023 to July 2023 for approximately 10 weeks with minimal absence required
- Cumulative GPA of 3.0 strongly preferred
- BSN students preferred
- Preference will be given to those students wanting to pursue a nursing career at UPMC upon graduation
- Eligible candidates are encouraged to apply as soon as possible to increase likelihood of offer on unit of preference
- Active American Heart Association (AHA) CPR certification throughout the entire summer is required; SNIs will be required to bring proof of current AHA CPR certification to orientation
- Additional clearances may be required based on location and specialty; specific instructions will be provided during onboarding/prior to start date
SNI Program Recruitment and Programmatic Expectations:
- Accepting Applications: August 15th – March 15th*
- SNI Program Dates: May 22nd – July 28th
*Subject to change based on applicant flow. We encourage students to apply as early as possible in the application process!
Interested in Learning More? Check Out the Following Sites:
- UPMC Student Opportunities Site: https://careers.upmc.com/pages/students
- SNI Blog: https://mycareer.upmc.com/sni
UPMC is an equal opportunity employer.
Minority/Females/Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities.
Individuals hired into this role must comply with UPMC’s COVID-19 vaccination requirements upon beginning employment with UPMC. Refer to the COVID-19 Vaccination Information section at the top of this page to learn more.