W. W. Norton & Company is seeking an Editorial Assistant to support the Media Editor for Biology in the development of digital resources for college courses.
Essential Job Responsibilities Include:
- Management of media content in all stages of production. This can include sending content to be reviewed by college instructors and students, setting and adhering to schedules, and preparing content for copyediting and production. Media content can include, but is not limited to, online homework questions in the Smartwork and InQuizitive systems, videos/animations, interactives, test banks, instructor materials, ebooks, and PowerPoints.
- Communication management. The Editorial Assistant will professionally interact with authors, college faculty, vendors, software developers, and marketing & sales staff, and should anticipate when to proactively act on messages.
- Project management. The Editorial Assistant will collaborate with and provide support to the media editorial team to move various multi-step projects forward in order to meet publishing deadlines.
- Document management. This can include creating and editing Excel, Word, and Smartsheet documents to support projects and carry out office responsibilities; establishing and maintaining complex tracking documents; organizing contracts and payments; compiling art logs and manuscripts; tracking and submitting reprint corrections; and creating file management systems.
- Data management. This can include extracting data from internal web-based information portals, aggregating data from various sources, and gathering information.
- Market research. The Editorial Assistant will assist with research on market trends in online learning.
Please note – this job description is not designed to cover all activities required of the employee.
- Bachelor’s degree.
- Employment eligibility to work with W. W. Norton & Company in the US is required.
- Must be able to work from Norton’s New York City Headquarters.
- W.W. Norton & Company (‘Norton’) strives to maintain a COVID-free workplace. To that end, being fully vaccinated is a condition of employment for all new Norton hires. Norton makes reasonable accommodations for qualified applicants with disabilities, sincerely held religious beliefs, or other conditions protected by applicable law.
- Knowledge of biology is not required, but preferred.
- Must have a demonstrated interest in the challenges and opportunities of electronic media as it applies to education and/or learning.
- Excellent organizational, verbal and written communications skills.
- The ability to effectively and logically troubleshoot technical issues, and then to define and describe those issues accurately.
- Must be able to anticipate project needs and deliver timely, relevant solutions and actions.
- Must be able to develop rapport and relationships with all levels of employees. Must be seen as knowledgeable and capable of handling sensitive, critical information.
- Must be proactive, flexible and adaptive in a rapidly changing environment.
- Must be self-directed and independent.
- Must have good time management skills, be organized, and be capable of multi-tasking and prioritizing across departments, activities, and projects.
- Must be detail-oriented, making sure that all aspects of their daily activities are handled with accuracy and minimal mistakes.
- Must have strong research skills.
- Must have a passion for learning new software programs.
- Proficiency in Word, PowerPoint, Excel, Google Docs, Windows and Mac OS required.
- Mastery of email, calendar management, and file management tools required.
Compensation and Benefits*
Currently available benefits include:
- Annual compensation for this position is $42,000. All salaries and salary ranges posted by Norton may vary depending on experience, skills, location, and like considerations.
- Generous paid time off, paid holidays, and summer Friday afternoons beginning in July
- Generous health benefits, including PPO and EPO medical insurance options, vision insurance, dental insurance, flexible spending accounts for healthcare, dependent care and commuter, gym membership reimbursement, and more. Coverage for spouses, domestic partners, and dependent children is available.
- Profit-Sharing and 401(k) benefit plan with discretionary contribution matching by employer
- Disability and life insurances
- FMLA, parental and other leave
- Employee Assistance Program (for mental health, financial planning, and other needs)
- Company-provided laptop
- Employee discounts on Norton books
- Limited matching of employee donations to select non-profit organizations
*All policies and benefits described are subject to change at any time.